Formerly Loughborough Fishing

Sunday 26 May 2013

"Bitchin' Twitchin' " lure making update

I finally got around to assembling some of the spoons I had made into rigs. See the post below for details on the concept and how I made the spoons.

The picture below shows the 3 perch coloured spoons I made.

Homemade lures

The top rig is built as the bitchin' twitchin' concept from the totally awesome fishing show (youtube it) and is designed to be fished with a sprat held by the single hook through the upper jaw and the treble in the back of the fish. The spoon flutters in front of the sprat, and creates the illusion of a large bait fish chasing a smaller fish. This scenario is an ideal ambush situation for a predator, who takes the larger fish that is distracted. 

The two rigs below are set up as spoon rigs as I am so impressed with the look of the painted spoon that I think predators will go for the spoon on its own. I also added the tail end of a rubber grub, to add extra flutter and appeal to the spoon. Finally, the plastic spoon is set to just hit against the top of the treble hooks, which creates a very loud and noticeable rattle as it flutters around - alerting any predators in the vicinity of the lure. 

Homemade perch spoons

I am still in the process of painting up some different designs on other spoons I have created, and will post pictures of those when I am finished.

If anyone has any questions on how the lures were made or rigged, ask in a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment